Randall D. Smith, usually referred to as ‘Randy,’ has dedicated his professional life to assisting people who have difficulty communicating. He has worked with children and adults with speech, language, and hearing problems. He understands the impact a difficulty communicating has on one’s life. He is patient and caring in his approach to patients. His recommendations are based upon sound principles leading to improved hearing and ease of listening.
B.A.–University of Louisiana at Monroe, (previously known as Northeast Louisiana University) Monroe LA.
M.Ed.–McNeese State University, Lake Charles LA.
Additional graduate and post graduate studies in communication disorders:
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge LA.
University of Southwestern Louisiana, Lafayette LA.
University of Colorado, Boulder CO.
Eastern Washington University, Cheney, WA.
Randy completes 40-80 contact hours of Professional Continuing Education each year in hearing loss, hearing aids, neurogenic speech/language disorders, fluency disorders, voice disorders and geriatric speech/language disorders.
- McNeese State University, Lake Charles LA, Speech and Hearing Consultant, Instructor, Special Education, 1972-1978. Identified and diagnosed students for speech-language-hearing services through special education.
- Porter Memorial Hospital, Denver CO, Speech Pathologist, Department Head, 1979-1990. Provided direct speech-language rehabilitation and educational services for persons with speech-language problems following strokes, surgery, or with other neurogenic speech-language problems. Emphasis on the geriatric population.
- Lakewood Hearing Center, Lakewood CO, 1990-present.
Community and Honors
- Board of Directors, Developmental Disabilities Resource Center (DDRC), Lakewood CO. DDRC provides case management and services for persons with developmental disabilities in Jefferson, Clear Creek, and Gilpin counties in Colorado. Board of Directors, President of the Board, 1991-2004.
- Board of Directors, Center for Hearing, Speech and Language (CHSL), Denver CO. CHSL, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, provides speech, language, and hearing services. 1991-1992.
- Colorado Governor’s Task Force for Persons with Disabilities, Denver CO, 2000.
- Arapahoe Sertoma Club, 1986-present.
- Friends of Man, Volunteer
- Community Service Award, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1997
- About Hearing Aids and Hearing Loss: Answers to 101 Questions, Smith, Randall D., Denver: Ramie Publishing, 1991.
- The Hearing Aid Decision: Answers to Your Many Questions, Smith, Randall D., Alpiner, Jerome G., et.al., Denver: Ramie Publishing, 2007.
Certifications and Licensures
- Licensed Speech-Language Pathologist, State of Colorado
- Certificate of Clinical Competence Speech-Language Pathology, by the American Speech-Hearing-Language Association.
- Board Certification in Hearing Instrument Sciences by the National Board for Certification in Hearing Instrument Sciences.
- Licensed Hearing Aid Dispenser, State of Colorado